Saturday 9 February 2013

MIA

So... Your probably asking, Where's is January's Peak?

Well about that, After a failed attempt, well not so much an attempt as a idea and some purchasing of Back Country Food, on Mount Aspiring over New Year, the idea started forming in my head, inspired in no small part by my much more keen (well about four times more keen) flat mate's plan to run 52 Peaks in 52 Weeks that perhaps the goal of a mountain a month was something that I would be more interested in, was achievable and would get me into the outdoors more.

As with all good New Years resolutions this was something that I had tried and spectacularly failed at before (3 years ago, I climbed Mount Torlesse in January and that was as far as it got) but this year I was a little more determined to actually make it through till the end.
The nicest part of our trip, the walk up the valley.
So that my challenge was not identical to Mat's but with less peaks I decided to put some rules into the mix as well, the first was that the peak had to be over 2000m, and crucially to make things interesting had to be a peak I have not climbed before.

Two weeks into January I got a text from a mate asking if I was keen to get away that week end and give something ago. He suggested either something near Temple Basin ski field, Phipps Temple traverse possibly, or having a crack at Mount Speight. Having already done the first I gamely said I would be keen for the second and a plan came together. 


Reaching our Bivi spot, our intended route behind us.
We drove over after work on Friday evening and set off up the Waimak, not quite making it to our planned bivi before dark we decided to stop where we were rather than river cross / venture into the bush at night.  We rose early the next day and set off up the valley, dropping our gear for a planned bivi on our return off the mountain. Then the bush happened. After heading into the bush (very much the wrong way) we headed up harper creek and set off for the flat spot on the spur with the final goal of the ridge which runs up to the Speight snow field. Eventually.... really .... eventually we made it out of the bush, at this point we had a bite to eat and a discussion, our slow progress through what from above looked like the thickest bush we could have ventured into, combined with our early night was likely going to leave us out of time when we came back down the mountain. Deciding that discretion was the better part of valour we set off back into the bush and returned to collect the bivi gear. The walk out down the Waimak was hot and highlighted just how unfit I have become in the last 6 months... If nothing else these peaks should improve that.

Oh and in the aftermath I changed the rules again, I have to do 12 mountains in 12 months (Still high still un climbed by me) and I have to try 1 a month, but given the nature of mountaineering, Failure is a option.

No comments:

Post a Comment